Their latest kicked off on Monday - you do pretty much have to have been living under a rock to miss it, but just in case, the bare bones:
- 2-5 players - one plays the monsters, the rest the adventurers
- classic dungeon crawl
- comes with a set of 'advanced' rules that cover role-play as well
- Ronnie from Mantic talks about it here.
- And of course, it's a Jake Thornton designed game, so the first cut at the rules is already up here (allegedly, but that link's 404ing for me - to quote Jake: "At least, they were briefly, then the demand crashed the servers". Whoops. Guys? Rent some Amazon S3 storage and stick it up there, huh? [Guess what, they did. See the comments to Jake's link above]).
- I'll confidently expect, being a fan of Jake's designs, that this will include some elegantly simple mechanics and Just Work.
In short? Looks like a great introduction to RPGs for my son - so I've signed up, as for my money the lack of hassle beats the occasional issues.
It's a Mantic Kickstarter., so you should know what to expect. Reached its target ($50K) in 4 minutes, already over $250K, add-ons a-go-go. There are now two pledge levels - one for the whole shebang at $100 (you're WAY too late for the $95 earlybird!) and a $1 if you just want to use the Kickstarter as a shopping cart for the add-ons.
And as for the add ons... to save my typing, here's how it stands...