Thursday 12 March 2015

RIP: Sir Terry Pratchett OBE (28 April 1948 – 12 March 2015)

I was going to pick up with some wargames related stuff on the blog today, but something important happened.




I had the pleasure of meeting pTerry (as a lot of his online fans tended to refer to him) on a few occasions at various SF conventions: he was never anything but charming, funny, and a true gentleman, and you quite often had to remind yourself that he was in fact the guest of honour, as more often than not he'd be nattering in the bar. In fact, I gather that on at least one occasion a convention committee that approached him to be a guest received the firm suggestion that it was perhaps someone else's turn.


Not many folks will leave a written legacy like his, nor face Death with as much equanimity. Rest in Peace, pTerry. You'll be missed.

6 comments:

  1. Our entire office stopped and had a minute's silence this afternoon in his honour. I wish I'd had the chance to meet him

    ReplyDelete
  2. Given his health issues the news was not unexpected, but so, so saddening all the same. I first began reading his books way back in the early 80's and I've been a fan ever since. He'll be sorely missed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Massively sad news. I've loved his books right from the beginning.

    RIP

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a shame... it may prompt me to start re-reading his novels...

    ReplyDelete
  5. At least I have many of his books to remember him by. One of the literary giants of recent times. a consummate story-teller.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And a game player too I might add.

    http://ashleyrpollard.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/walking-together.html

    ReplyDelete

Views and opinions expressed here are those of the commenter, not mine. I reserve the right to delete comments if I consider them unacceptable. Unfortunately due to persistent spam from one source, I've been forced to turn on captchas for comments.

Comments on posts older than 7 days will go into a moderation queue.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...